View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 05:47 AM   #19
John V

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
o yea, well its pretty much a production drag car, it hauls ass, wher the boxster has none of that, so if someone is looking to ro and rape all the ricers in something, this wold be a very good choice,
I've spent a bit of time in C5 and C5 Z06 cars. Obviously both cars are significantly faster in a straight line than a Boxster or Boxster S.

But they will also positively rape a Boxster around an autocross course or open track. The suspension on C5s and C6s is fully adjustable front and rear for camber. They don't require a lot of static camber to handle well, because the suspension was properly designed to have an excellent camber curve (you can't say that about a Boxster). The ride height is adjustable from the factory. The cars are set up very well for track and autocross work, right out of the box. In fact, the factory goes so far as to recommend alignment settings for track, autocross, and street. Pretty cool.

The C5 is a car that initially feels very large, but its quick steering, fast responses and forgiving nature make it feel much smaller and immediately inspire confidence. Once moving quickly, they feel light, small and nimble. A C5 Z06 is only 3050lbs, pretty close to a Boxster S weight (mine is 3000lbs on the nose, 2960 with the fancy wheels). They are fantastic handling cars.

The one area where they are really lacking is in handling FEEL. Somehow Chevy hasn't found a way to acheive the wonderful steering feel and chassis feedback of a Boxster. Supposedly, the C6 was a step in the wrong direction in this regard, but again I haven't driven one.

If they can fix that for the C7 and keep the weight in check, it will be my next car. If I hadn't bought my Boxster for competition purposes, I'd own a C6.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote