View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
FrayAdjacent

Oh, those aren't screenshots from MY PDA!! I filled up this weekend for $2.19/gal for premium!

Travis, the PDA is working out great for sat nav. I got a Dell Axim X51, a Holux GPSlim 236, Odyssey Mobile from Infogation and a nice window mount that powers the PDA and has a powered speaker (you cannot hear the PDA on it's own)

The GPS receiver is about the size of a Zippo, but a little thicker. It does have it's own battery, but only runs about 10 hours. It uses bluetooth to communicate with the PDA, and it works great. I'm thinking about mounting it in the rear storage bin, and wiring up it's adapter so it's powered when the car is on. Or mounting it in the front trunk, but I think the hood will interfere with it's reception.

The software is great, but is relatively new on the scene. It doesn't yet speak street names, and some maps/areas are out of date, but out of date data is a common problem with any navigation system.

I got the GPS receiver and window mount from buygpsnow.com, and all said and done, I think I spent around $400. (the Odyssey software was 60% off, tho, and only cost me $60) I already had the 1GB SD card, but plan on getting a 4GB card later. The nav software doesn't take much space, but if you load all of the US maps, I think it's about 2.6GB!

Anyway, the Vehicle Manager software will actually sync with the desktop version, so I ponied up for both. I'll start logging the data from my 911 in it soon, too. The desktop version also can export the data to Excel.

Overall, I'm digging the PDA as a vehicle accessory.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"

Last edited by FrayAdjacent; 02-12-2007 at 08:03 PM.
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote