View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
racer_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBsOlUt
My car has reached 15800 miles and I have an appointment set on February 15th for my 15k mile service.

If I do everything (please note I dont know what everything includes) it will cost me 1200$ which is out of proportion for me.

I am trying to do the most important ones and get away below 600$. Perhaps include a full detail as well (no time to wax because of work).

What are the most important things to ask specifically from the dealer for this kind of service? One of my brakes does squeek so this needs to get fixed.

My first and second gear literally suck. They are rough on the car alot to the point I feel like I've been damaging my car. What can I ask for them to check there? Gear links etc?

Car is a 986S BoxsterS 2004.

Thanks in advance!
1) If you don't have the Maintenance book with the owners manual, get one. It spells out what is done at 15K miles. Of the top of my head, besides an oil/filter change, the rest of the stuff is some pretty simple "inspections". If you have the time to set aside 1 day (say a saturday - maybe 2-4hours) you can likely do the items yourself.

2) If the car is under warranty, and you don't have the time/skills, take it to your dealer

3) If you don't like the price quote from dealer #1, try dealer #2 or a reputable "independant" shop. A warranty is NOT voided if the work is not done at a Porsche shop. However, you may want to ensure that your "independant" shop is familiar with what is involved and gives you an itemized list of the services they perform and that they match what Porsche recommends.

4) Brakes squeek. Get over it. As long as the pads are good and the rotors aren't out of spec (and at 15K they shouldn't be), you could learn to live with the squeek. Of, you could by some "anti-squeek"

Seriously though, take the time to learn what your car needs at its maintenance intervals and WHY it needs them. No harm in being an educated consumer, is there?
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote