View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
FrayAdjacent

PDA/Smartphone users - Vehicle Manager

If you're like me, you like recording data such as fuel mileage, and like to keep track of maintenance and expenditures.

I had been using a notebook to manually write everything down. I even tried messing around with Excel Mobile to try to come up with a spreadsheet to calculate things like fuel economy, and tally up total fuel used, and how much $$ I had spent... but geeze, Excel Mobile is tricky to use. Even the regular desktop version is tricky! So I was laying there trying to sleep the other night (I have a thinking problem... it really contributes to my insomnia), there MUST be some PPC software that could do all of this stuff - record fillups, odometer data, fuel costs, maintenance costs... and generate simple reports based on this data.

So yesterday I searched around, and was amazed how fast I found something.

Vehicle Manager

I downloaded the free trial and played around with it. It's pretty nifty! I transcribed my fuel data into it, and then started playing with the maintenance entries. You can edit them and add your own labels. It asks you for the label, date, mileage, cost and even the location (like Jiffy Lube or Wal Mart -not that I'd let either of those establishments touch my car)

Then you can go to a Quick Stats page that shows a summary of a lot of information. This is pretty slick!

You can use it for several vehicles, too!

Here's a few screenshots from the publisher (www.iambic.com)

Here's their page about it. There's a Windows version for desktops (not sure if it syncs with the PPC version), a Windows Mobile version, and a smartphone version:

Vehicle Manager PPC

You guys might not be into this kind of stuff, but since I recently bought a PPC (Dell Axim) for use as a navigation device, I figured, I might as well use it for some other vehicle related stuff!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote