Thread: 40 amp fuse???
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
The question about the airbag light.... No, this doesnt apply to you, This was some kinda of mickey mouse job that the porsche dealer did to my boxster. I dont think its typical. I was just telling a story while telling you that you DO need the fuse but if its missing you wouldnt notice.

Second question... Yes you should goto PepBoys and buy the 40amp fuse and install it, It supplies the engine with needed vacum when first started.
Hi,

Sorry, nope. The secondary airpump works to bring the Cats up to operating temp quickly to reduce emissions when cold starting the car while it is in Closed Loop operation. It injects air directly into the exhaust system (via the exhaust ports in the heads) so the emissions burn hotter and more completely. The Catalytic Matrix heats up more quickly this way and burns cleaner. It does not produce any vacuum at all, it is a positive pressure electric pump.

There is a vacuum operated Changeover Valve which cuts the circuit in/out to the Secondary Air Pump, but this is supplied from a Vacuum Reservoir which is supplied by engine vacuum. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote