View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Well, let me put it this way then. If you have an amplifier and a really powerfull and nice stereo set up system, along with the top being used all the time it's going to take a toll on your battery, the Red Top is great, don't get me wrong, I only say the Yellow Top is better because most people that are into their cars have added expensive stereos and amplifiers. I originally started with the Red-Top in my car but switched to the Yellow because of my amplifiier and stereo. If your car is running while you put your top up or down the Red Top should be fine. If you open and close your top at car shows, like I do sometimes without the engine running, then I would sugest the yellow top. Here is a direct link to the Optima Yellow Top benifits.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/deep_cycle.html
So looking at the spec sheet that you posted tells the story. The yellow top has a 7% or so higher capacitance. That means there are a couple of benefits to it.
1) You can run the car's systems for a little while longer without the car running and
2) There will be less of a voltage drop during high draw events, like big bass tones from the stereo, so the lights and such won't dim as much during such an event.

So I can see you're point on the advantage to the yellow top.

The disadvantage would be that it probably takes a little longer for the yellow top to recharge when it's brought down to some level of discharge compared to the red top. I would also guess there's some kind of price difference.

In the end, it sounds like it comes down to how much power you're using in your electrical components and if you plan to use them without the car running.

Last edited by blue2000s; 02-09-2007 at 10:51 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote