View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
AUDIOGUY

I have owned 2 prior M roadsters. Both were 2000 model years. I definately loved the cars. Handling was excellent, power was excellent, steering excellent.... why did I buy the Porsche??? It was a goal of mine and more of a "grown up" car. Anyway, they are great cars and very reliable. If you are going to find a Z3 non M then the 2000 and up 2.8 l or the 3.0 l will be the only one to get as the base Z3s were a bit underpowered in my opinion. I had tracked both cars in a few PDA events and one of my cars at the M performance center in SC. The M roadster was very traditional when it comes to track mannerisms. You can pretty much do anything you want with it... the tail will come out if needed, brakes are excellent for trailbraking and entering corners hot. There is a great Youtube video out there with one of the Top Gear drivers raving about the car. I loved the gearbox and short shifting action. I did pretty much the same minor mods ... intake, exhaust and software... with a strut brace and some wider tires. The car didnt need much.

Cost of maintenance was about 120.00 for an oil change with synthetic at the dealer.
No problems to speak of that were out of warranty. I had one car with 40k miles on it and another with 20ish... I believe you can have a nice M roadster with possibly the 315 horse engine for around 25k or so. They are somewhat hard to find.

I cant say much about the Z4... I drove one for the weekend before buying the Boxster and needless to say, ended up with the Boxster S. I didnt like the detached feeling I got from the car.

Hope that helps!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote