View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
Paul
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I guess I am the dissenting opinion.

You should avoid touching dry paint as much as possible.
The only California Dry Duster I would use a fresh one right out the packaging on a freshly waxed car that has been sitting in a garage or freshly waxed but sitting out and collected some pollen and dust. These are the only instances where I would use any form of dry dusting on soft German paints. particularly dark ones.

When you drive your car on the road, the cars in front and behind kick up sediment from the road. Basically the same stuff that is in sandpaper. Now you take your try duster or towel and drag those sediments across the paint surface.
Not good.

For for daily driven cars you ALWAYS want to lubricate the panel before applying any manner of pressure. Whatever you can get, cheap or expensive over the counter quick detailers. Flood the surface, take a clean towel and make one long pass with minimal pressure. Flip the towel religiously.

Use the California duster on the top or glass, leave your paint alone. The less you touch it the better it will look.
No top, no glass.

Never buy a Porsche unless it's white, white doesn't show scratches!!!

BTW I haven't waxed my 2001 yet even though it's been to 6 Parades!
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote