View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenared
But it's not. Alignment is absolutely critical on our cars with such low-profile, wide tires. Any oaf can do an alignment that is "within factory specifications" and get a print-out showing you before and after. The trouble is that the factory specifications are so wide that basically, if the wheels are pointing forward, the car is in alignment. Doing a precision alignment on a Boxster is a reiterative pain in the ass. You also need experience to know how to do it so that the alignment will hold after you go over a few speed bumps. Otherwise, after a few days or few weeks, you'll be needing another alignment. It is very easy for these cars to go out of alignment. I've read of people who track their car doing an alignment every few weeks. You also need experience to know what settings are optimum for different driving conditions/styles.

To me, $250 is very reasonable, and I think I know the shop you're referring to. If you go to a precision alignment/race shop, they will listen to how you drive, what you're looking for as far as driving characteristics, and discuss what kind of alignment you may try. They will then do a precision alignment to just those specifications--not just within joke factory specifications. If you are new to Boxster alignments and drive enthusiastically, it is in your interest to learn the terminology and what affects different settings have. If you just cruise around as a casual Sunday driver and your tire wear shows nothing strange, then skip doing the alignment altogether.
Hi,

BINGO!!! You're exactly right. Guys, the best thing about the Boxster is it's precision handling, don't give it anything but the best alignment you can find.

I wouldn't go to a chain or Tire Shop with anything but my Daily Driver. Lifetime Alignments are great, if you want a lifetime of the car just not being quite right.

Dealers, Chains, Tire Shops are all about turnover - $/Bay/Day. Many of these shops pay employees bonuses based on maximizing the revenue generated by the Bay daily. That alone should tell you where their priorities (both the shop and the Tech) lay. Do it right - go to a Race Shop. I've never heard anyone say they were sorry they did...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote