View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #17
eslai

I can agree with you on all of that! After reading again I see that I'm arguing the wrong points--didn't pay attention to the fact that it was a 0-60 discussion.

What I should have said is that the tip boxster probably has a slower 0-60 time than the manual does (don't know for sure, never cared to check) and that the Turbo's specs can't be used as proof to compare the two trannies on a boxster for the reasons I mentioned.

It's all irrelevant though because really, the following two things are more important:

1. On *paper* the tip is slower. Quarter-mile times that the manufacturer reports are always achieved in ways that would make any car owner cringe. I don't launch my car, I don't spin the wheels and I don't shift gears as though transmissions were cheap so yes, i could believe that the tip would be faster if you were racing someone at a stoplight.

2. Torque output within a gear should be lower on the tip so the car should *feel* slower--I can't say I've tested that myself or seen dyno charts but the tip uses a torque converter so it's going to be sapping more power than the manual tranny. This is more important to me than getting to some arbitrary line before someone else does--I want the car to be punchy and respond to throttle input in turns, etc.

And as I said before, if someone were to buy a manual simply because "it's faster", I'd say they were missing the point. I bought a manual tranny so I could have fun driving the car. Heel-toe downshifts and all that.

Thanks for the correction!