View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #43
horizontally-opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
you know while your here I just want to make a general observation about car magazine writers.
Why is it that every write up about a new model or a comparo starts off with some anecdote to draw an analogy to what you are about to write about?
Throw the DRIVERS a bone and just say today we got the car and drove the wheels off it. Tell us things that people not working for a car magazine would never know about. More facts, more references to similar cars and how they stack up and less mumbo jumbo fancy tawk (in jersey accent).
Well, thats a VERY general statement...but a grain of truth, too.

There are plenty of writers in this biz who strive to be great writers rather than great reviewers. Too many, in fact. 'Tis nice to be both, but so very few are. And even fewer auto journalists are what I would term "truly great writers." The latter are usually writing books, not car reviews.

That said, a good writer captures the essence of a car. Try the British magazine EVO sometime... I feel they do it better than anyone else -- though each of us have their own dislikes and likes.

pete
horizontally-opposed is offline   Reply With Quote