View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 05:10 AM   #19
Dr. Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
I only drive for leisure and on weekends so can't speak for people who have to drive to work during the week, but I can see how one could have a different car for a different purpose and conditions. There are plenty of congested metro areas with bad roads, hellish commutes in stop-and-go traffic. I don't think it's a matter of mileage or wear and tear, it just plain doesn't make sense to be driving a high-performance roadster (with a stick shift, no less) in such conditions. Moreover, it makes sense to associate the roadster with fun and joy (like a twisty road on a weekend) and disassociate it from stress, congestion, and hurry. It's a different feeling when you sit in your joy car for your joy ride, and not in the same seat in which you cursed and sweated just yesterday while stuck in traffic on your way home from work.
Z.
I understand what you are saying, but the other side of it is, when I have a long and stressful day at work at a client location, often the best part of my day is that commute in my Boxster. I am always looking for twisty backroads that, although may lengthen my trip to and from work, I can fit some “me” time in there during an otherwise potentially boring task of commuting. I can’t count how many nights I have shuffled out of an office building completely drained, only to have a big smile put on my face when I see my car.

When I first got the Box, I kept another car for DD purposes – nice car, an Acura CL Type S, but every day when I was driving it, I wished I was in the Porsche. So I wound up just selling it.

I hear you about the inner-city driving. I certainly don’t live in an idyllic country setting, but if I have to go to Manhattan, I take the train, but otherwise, Jersey, upstate New York, Long Island, I’m taking my car, and I am enjoying it – every day.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote