Thread: drag racing...
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2004, 09:55 PM   #12
Adam

Richard, I'm sure you shift just fine but anyone can learn to shift better. The most crucial shift is the 2-3 shift because it is the most difficult to do smooth and fast. When shifting try to lift your foot off the gas as little as possible. If you are fully letting off the gas peddle when you shift you could be going faster. Try to syncronize your left foot with your right hand as closely together as possible. 3-4 shifts should be ultra quick as it is just one swift pull down into 4th. If you are doing a good lauch from a standing start there are a couple options but you have to be careful. If you simlpy rev it real high like 4-5rpm and dump the clutch you will get shaken to death due to the wheel hop. This is not good at all. My technique isn't the fastest but it's better on the clutch. Hold the revs between 2.5-3k rpm(the stickier the road surface the higher the rpm drop) and drop the clutch quickly. You will probabbly get a small chirp which is all you really want. Once the clutch engages FLOOR the gas pedal. Boxster S's have a good limited slip diff and you should have no problems hooking up in first gear. The next technique is the fastest, but also pretty tough on the clutch if done on a regualar basis. Rev the car up high like around 5,ooo rpm and feather the clutch out more slowly slipping the clutch. This will really put you back in the seat if you do it right. But, like I said it will roast your clutch if you do it alot. All I can say is try practicing often if you want to become more adept at shifting. Everytime you take the car out try going to redline and shifting as fast as possible to the next gear. Be sure the engine oil is warm first though

Last edited by Adam; 07-27-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote