View Single Post
Old 12-14-2006, 08:15 AM   #15
Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
don't laugh guys but I don't have a clue what clutch slipping is.....the only thing that I noticed really different was the smell......I took it out and drove it pretty hard a couple times and it always went right into gear and zip around fine....first gear might feel a little funny but that could just be me, and the other thing is that the shifter feels looser.....the car definitely goes into gear a lot smoother that it used too....but then again maybe I'm just imagining

for David, I had the clutch all the way to the floor......I think I probably panicked a bit and maybe didn't come all the way off it enough for the car to go....not really sure.....the guy said it was all good yesterday but he's going back to look at the creaking clutch pedal TSB today and hopefully their won't be a different assesment of the situation....
Slipping is the time between the initial contact of the clutch plates (one is spinning faster than the other) and the final mating that results in them locking together and spinning at the same speed. Slipping is what causes a clutch to burn (gets the smell you refer to) and wear faster than normal.

A simple example would be you're playing basketball and you run down the court. When you get to the other end you try to stop and your shoes slide (slip) on the floor of the court until they gain enough traction. A similar thing happens with a clutch.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote