View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #94
dbth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I think that the points you make have some validity, but were more true in years gone by than they are today.

With respect to point #1, family units were often broken apart under the agrarian slave system prior to the 1870's, and one can even make the same point with the migration of Black fathers to the industrial north in the 1st 1/3 of the last century in search of employment. But, the past 30 years in particular have brought much awareness to the Black community about the importance of men accepting the father's role in the family unit. So I think it's a bit of an overworked excuse now. If they choose to ignore their role, can they still claim ignorance? Can we continue to blame historical precedence over personal choice?

On point #2, basically the same thing. People of Mediterranean, Scandinavian, Italian, Germanic and Eastern European heritage often possess identifying characteristics which can be used to discriminate. The current US population also contains millions of people of color aside from Blacks, again with very distinguishable features.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
The lack of a strong family unit is caused by high incarceration rates , drug use , teenage pregancy rates & low education achievement , low income levels , low housing standards.

As for assimilation , I as a Hispanic had a much easier path to Middle America from the streets of NY than people of color.I have white skin.Black people don't!

The average person cannot fully appreciate the plightof black america.
Try living in the projects , living on public assistance , buy groceries with food stamps, grow up in a one parent household , have to deal with street crime and drugs on a regular basis , visit friends and family in jail , have law enforcement view you as a threat ,live with suffocating peer pressure or have BLACK SKIN.

We will never understand how it feels to be black and we should not think that the problems of the black community are all self inflicted or should be solved by their own resolve.

Everyone is racist to a certain extent, justified or not,

Last post for me on race relations.