View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
dharrisonwu

You should contest your ticket if you believe that there is a legitimate ground to do so. When the judge is deciding your case, they will make sure that the government (i.e., the police officer) has satisfied the burden of proof. If not, the case is dismissed, simple as that. A simple radar guy readout on record does not mean that they will win - - out from where I'm from, the police officer needs to provide records of calibration and the such during trial. Although many of you may think that it's always their word against yours, it's not as simple as that. Oftentimes, the Judge will use a checklist to make sure the government has met all the elements of the offense. In presenting a defense, excuses such as "I didn't know I was going that fast" or "I didn't see the sign" etc., does not hold water. Make sure you know what the elements of the offense you've been charged are, and then raise the fact that as a matter of law, the government did not prove its case. That, will get you off - - unless, the government did satisfy its burden of proof.

By the way, police officers are required to go to court and it is not a good thing if they do not show. Also, they are paid to go.
USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote