View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
RandallNeighbour

Stupid stupid stupid!

Well, I scraped the crap out of the roof of my Lexus tonight.

The evening out began with me dumping a large glass of ice tea across the table into my wife's lap, all over her coat next to her and into her purse.

Then we ate our dinner and went to the car.

I was parked under a very low sign at an angle. There was just enough clearance for my car to get under it and get that excellent parking spot in front of the restaurant that no one takes because of that sign.

When trying to back out, I realized the traffic on the one way road I was trying to back into was simply too heavy with traffic, and the best way forward under the sign the same way I did it the last time we were at this particular restaurant.

Of course, I had totally forgotten we were in the boxster, which is 18 inches lower than the Lexus LS400.

So I slowly moved forward and no noise, so I proceeded with caution if you want to call it that and scraaaaaape! I was caught under the sign right in the middle of the sunroof.

Moving backward would have probably made it a lot worse, so I just slowly moved forward and it stopped scraping, so I thought, "no big deal, right?"

Wrong.

I put a small indentation in the roof about 2.5 feet long. That, my friends, will not buff out no matter how long I work at it!

The paint was scraped through the clearcoat into the paint at the front of it and well, I'm going to have to take it to a body shop after the first of the year and pay to have it fixed. I'm sure they'll bondo over it and respray it and it will look fine. The car is 12 years old and we're planning to keep it a while, but this was not a good night for me.

I am simply too ashamed to take pictures and post them because it was a stupid move on my part. Oh well, at least I didn't do anything like this to the boxster because I'd be so pissed at myself that I wouldn't even confess it here on this list.

Lesson learned? Wait for traffic to die down and don't risk driving under signage.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote