View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
z12358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"Big Oil countries" try to raise prices all the time. That is there function, to maximize their profits, much as it is yours to maximize YOUR income.

Whether they are able to somehow escape the laws of supply and demand is in fact, another story all together. In fact, OPEC has been a case study in how oligopolies or cartels can consistenly fail to enforce their will on comsumers. In the long run, consumers have options, like, well, driving less for example.

The problem of course is that presently, there are plenty of other countries willing to sell the oil, rather than sit on it. This makes the OPEC guys furious.

Saying that something is "conceivable" is the sign of, well actually, nothing.

It is conceivable that I will learn to fly soon but not very likely.

However, belief is unlimited and boundless.

Believe what you will!

Yes, I believe that the situation I described is conceivable. From what little I know of English and without resorting to a dictionary, 'conceivable' = 'characterized both with the motive and the means'. Both exist in abundance in this case.

With regards to your flying analogy, you're OK on the motivation part but fall flat (no pun intended) on the means -- unless you can offer a plausable way of supressing gravity. Hence, no, I don't believe that it is conceivable for you to learn to fly.

Z.