View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 09:12 AM   #47
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster132
I just spoke to Shane, the guy who's car was featured in Autoweek and Excellence. He's incredibly thrilled with the upgrade. It sounded like everything is a great fit for the new engine. Gearing match up nicely and of course the powerband is a lot more fun, giving you even reasonable go at 2-3k RPM (where I personally feel the stock S seems almost dead).

He had compared it to the 997S Cab before going with the upgrade and just enjoyed the driving experience of the Boxster a lot more. So far he's done both 3-day road trips and track days with the upgraded car and performs very well for both.

One of the big differences was 60-120 performance, which obviously is a much more vivid experience. Again, that's personally where I feel the lag of power much accentuated in the stock S as well. If traffic is flowing at, say, 75, then you don't exactly feel like you're flying by your fellow drivers. Obviously, on the grand scale of things, the Boxster S is a very fast car compared to probably 98% of the rest of the road -- so it's all very relative .

He had a lot of good words for the guys at RUF, too.

Anyway, just thought I'd keep you guys posted. I'm definitely considering this very seriously and will probably make a decision shortly into the new year, so the car can be ready for Chicago driving season start if it's a go. I'll write up a full review then if it happens.

Webster, if and when you travel to take your car to RUF, please let me know. I will gladly serve as your personal bodyguard, carry your briefcase, or whatever. Just let me know!

When do Sammy, NickCats and I get to wax your Lambo?