View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #19
Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
There's no doubt that the GT is tuned to be more of a cruiser than a racer. But we're talking about the Shelby version, with 500hp and tweaked suspension. It's pretty hard to overcome a 250hp advantage.

Did you notice the Shelby in the article you linked? It turned its laps right with a Cayman S, and it had engine problems. According to the article, the Shelby was falling on it's face at 5000 rpm, a whole 1000 rpm shy of its peak. There's your proof... a Boxster would be no match for a Shelby.
Yeah, I noticed the Shelby, but for discussion my point was better shown in the other comparison because the engine issue raises a few too many questions. My point being that an underpowered car (even being FWD) can hang with a high powered car because of handling and shouldn't be dismissed.

Regarding the Shelby, I don't believe that 2 seconds is close when you have the top three cars all within 0.5 seconds of each other. Even if the engine was running properly, the time made up in the straights would be minor compared to what it loses in the corners.

I forgot to add that I think a base Boxster would have a hard time keeping up, but I think a "S" would take care of business.

BTW - I thought it was a great article and hopefully they will keep using this comparison in the future.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote