View Single Post
Old 08-19-2024, 07:48 AM   #7
FatherAndSon

For anyone interested, here is an update.

I replaced the ignition electrical switch (Both my son and I tried from underneath and neither my son who should be more flexible but is bigger or I could do it. We ultimately went through the side vent). That didn't solve anything.

I sent the DME to a computer place that'll remain nameless, they initially said they repaired it but it didn't solve any issues when it was reinstalled. After emailing with the repair place it seems that it tested find when it arrived at their shop and they didn't do anything to it. They refunded me the full amount for the "repair".

I went back to the receipt for the exhaust repair and new O2 sensors and called the former owner and left a message. A few days later he called back and told me the saga with the exhaust shop. He took the car in for a repair to a "hole in the muffler" and was expecting to wait for the repair. While there they told him he needed 2 new O2 sensors. Mentioned that they first got the wrong ones and were having the correct ones delivered. The work they performed was actually a replacement of a 6" section of exhaust pipe from the back of the cat on the passenger (RH) side. In this new section of pipe is the hole for the after cat O2 sensor. When they delivered the car back to him it had the no throttle issue. He had to tow it from the shop to another place and then to a Porsche dealer to have looked at. Dealer told him it would be 5 weeks and several grand to repair. Owner then donated the vehicle and that's how I came to purchase it at auction.

I don't know why they needed to replace the O2 sensor on the LH side. I've pulled all the O2 sensors and ran the engine and that didn't solve the no throttle. I also noticed that the replacements were part number 986-606-127-01. Which are for before the cat (not after) spot and for earlier models (01/02). I don't know if the wrong sensors in the wrong spot could have caused the issue but I have 2 new ones on order. I've also sent the DME off to ECU Doctors to have tested. While it is away, I've been examining the wiring harness looking for anything that could've been damaged when the exhaust was repaired. One possibility is that the sensor connector to the harness is not bolted to the block and slightly relocated from the side to the rear to reach the new sensor hole/location. I'm thinking that the spot where the wires connect into the harness could've been damaged by pulling on it when moving it. I likely need to remove the fuel rail in order to inspect the joint to the harness more fully. I haven't found any other spot where there could be damage. I also tested resistance from the harness connector to the DME for the O2 ground to the sensor connector and I have continuity and very little resistance. That leads me to doubt there is any wiring issues.

I'm hoping that a DME fix and the correct O2 sensors does the trick.

If anyone thinks I'm missing something, feel free to chime in.
FatherAndSon is offline   Reply With Quote