Thread: Radio/Amplifier
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2024, 04:02 PM   #5
spinjockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997_986 View Post
Thank you.
Yes, I have speakers inside the door:

And I checked the options, I have "321" what points to a CR22 and "490" that identifies the sound package. I took a picture of the plug as well, actuelly there are two of them.

I cut off the thick wires that were connected to the speaker wires. I hope no more modifications made, so I will organize an used amplifier (HEAS?) and fingers crossed ;-)
Any remote diagnosis possible or hints? Thanks a lot so far!

Btw, does anyone know what the brown sheathed cable with the small plug that is sticking out of the top center of the door seal is used? It was not connected....but no application for that in sight as well ;-)
Ok so looks like someone did a hack job to splice in a non oem amplifier. The small connector goes to the head unit preamp outputs. The large connector goes to the speakers. The diagram in the thread below will help you sort out the pin order

https://www.renntech.org/topic/54352-haes-4-x-40w-amplifier-functions/

Note that the diagram is for a 6 channel 490 system as found on the 996. The boxster only had a 4 channel system with no rear speakers unless optioned with the bose system. There were actually three different 490 systems with slight variations in the amplifier behavior. The 4x40 490 configuration found in the boxster and separate 6x40 490 configuration found in the 996 coupe and cabriolet respectively.

There is an aftermarket/oem option to put speakers in the rear shelf cubby on the boxster. The original instructions kept the oem 4 channel amp and wired the rear speakers direct to the head unit. You can still buy the kit or source the parts from eBay because the aftermarket vendor sells the wiring harness there. There are also other speaker frames available for different speaker configurations.

Many of us have instead purchased a 6 channel 490 amp pulled from a 996 cabriolet or used an aftermarket amplifier. If you use an aftermarket amplifier you will have to splice wires as I am unaware of any adapters for the amp connectors. If you go aftermarket my advice would be to run preamp connectors direct to the trunk then splice the speaker outputs. The oem 4 or 6 channel amplifier treats the door speakers as a low frequency only channel. Using the 6 channel oem amplifier with the rear speaker shelf you can get your audio to decent but it won’t be great and you might decide the best music just comes out the back.

I don’t know what the brown wire does. The picture makes it hard to get a good look.
spinjockey is offline   Reply With Quote