View Single Post
Old 06-12-2024, 07:29 AM   #13
RA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I can't say how much negative camber you can put into a stock 986, but in a 987 it's around -1.5 deg. Should prob be the same on the 986 since they use similar components. IF that same amt could be done as positive camber, 1.5 deg is not going to be enough to overcome the neg camber YOU'VE created with your lowered springs. With stock suspension components, the shop can only do so much and it won't be enough to get camber back to specs.

Rather than blaming that shop for something they did 2yrs ago, you need to decide what your next move is - go back to stock springs or find a shop that's done race alignments. If you choose the latter, there may be parts necessary to get it into the neighborhood of reasonable, like a camber plate. And if you do get the tire sitting upright, will it be rubbing on the fender?

And if you leave neg camber in, you will NEVER get 30K mi out of a set of tires. I have GT3 control arms on the front of my Cayman S Sport with -2.3 deg camber. With stock setup, I could go thru 2 sets of rears to 1 set of fronts in 30K mi. With the GT3 arms and camber, I now wear the fronts and rears out at the same rate - around 15K mi. But my 15K mi worn out fronts don't even look close to your 4K mi fronts, so you have WAY more camber than -2.3 in yours. Like I said earlier, chances are with stock components your alignment shop couldn't come close to getting your car w/in specs.
Ok, so this very well may be the case, and I'm not saying you're wrong. However this is the problem. It is the shops responsibility to bring issue's like that to my attention. If I was told that it wasn't possible to get the camber back into spec on the stock suspension components, then no problem, I would've gone home and ordered the necessary parts and brought it back so the alignment could have been done properly. BEFORE I ripped through a set of tires in 4k miles. Whether I created the issue or not, it's not my responsibility any more when the shop tells me that the car is in good alignment and is good to go.
RA1 is offline   Reply With Quote