View Single Post
Old 02-11-2024, 12:21 PM   #3
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoporsche View Post

Apparently the door speakers are not regular speakers but sub woofers only. And the dash speakers are soldered in place without traditional speaker connections.
Pianoporsche is pointing you in the right direction. I have a 2000 Boxster, and the audio system in your car has a slightly different configuration. However, I think one similarity is that the door speakers are not full range speakers. They are not subwoofers, but they do emphasize the lower frequency sound. The amp in your front trunk only feeds low-frequency sound to the speakers. That's why you are not achieving the results you expected when you changed the speakers.

This thread https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/79558-door-speaker-recommendations.html has some useful information about the door speakers.

I installed some low-range speakers in my doors and powered them with a small separate amp that receives a signal from the subwoofer output from my aftermarket head unit. I did have some issues with the installation because I wanted to use larger speakers. It took more time and effort than I expected, but I'm pleased with the improvement in the sound.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote