View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 07:09 PM   #6
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
Awesome, thanks Kevin! Found a couple good writeups on the EEPROM reprogramming part. I have a programmer and software to do that (I hope - a perk of being a software developer lol).

Was hoping for a bit more of a plug and play swap, but I think this is manageable if all goes smoothly and I get my LCD screen fixed AND gauge fixed all in one go!
I had not programmed an EPROM prior to starting my gauge swap. I was fortunate that another board member graciously offered to guide me through the process. If you have prior experience with EPROMts, you are in much better shape than I was and you should be able to handle this.

I wrote a detailed document that contains everything I learned during my project. The file size exceeds the limit for attachments on this forum.. If you want a copy, please send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the document to you.

While you are planning the work, I recommend that you consider installing a 996 cluster if you can find an affordable used one, After using my car with the Carrera 5-gauge cluster, the 3-gauge cluster in the 986 looks like Porsche went overboard cutting costs on the 986.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote