View Single Post
Old 10-28-2023, 12:26 PM   #1
Nickanator8

Winter wheels and tires

Hey all! I live in Colorado and out here we get plenty of snow. In fact, today I slapped my winter set onto my daily because we are in the process of getting almost a foot of snow over the course of this weekend.

When I bought my Boxster I wanted to be able to drive it year round. In my mind a lighter, lower car is going to be much easier to maneuver in a low traction environment than a larger, heavier one.

I'm a firm believer that winter tires make the difference between safe winter driving and sketchy winter driving so I'm trying to find a good solution to fit my baby with some Blizzaks as soon as possible.

The issue I'm encountering is that the rear wheels are very wide, and finding winter tires to fit is proving to be a challenge. Besides that my understanding is that you want a skinnier tire in winter so it can cut through snow instead of riding on top of it.

My thoughts are to try to find four OEM front wheels to create my winter set, and maybe throw on spacers on the back to fix the fitment if it starts to bother me. The issue I'm coming across there is I'm struggling to find many people selling just the fronts and I'd rather not have a completely mismatched set if I can help it.

Any thoughts on other routes I could take or other options I should explore? Leaving the Boxster in the garage all winter is not an option. I bought it to drive it and you best believe that given the opportunity I'll be putting my skis on the roof rack and driving it to the slopes this winter.