View Single Post
Old 10-26-2023, 08:06 AM   #11
PLP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
Thanks for the in depth explanation, you make me question what I want/need. Truth is that I don't drive a lot at night and over 90% is in the city where the headlights are more for being seen than seeing. But I do like the idea of bulbs that last longer and use less current.
I assume that in other applications like brake, parking and tail lights LEDs are good, that is what I took away from previous research for these types of bulbs and in comparing incandescent and LEDs side by side. Given that most people do not check their lights regularly (every car that I have bought has some burned out lights) the long lasting LEDs are an advantage (but you still have to do a walk around to check them from time to time).
No problem.

While LEDs last longer (by default) I had more LED failures in taillights than any other tungsten based bulbs. The chips burn out, or PCBs get damaged (resistors or whatever else burns out).
I even had the center stop light burn the brake fuse due to failed LED.

Headlights - you are limited. Halogen, maybe HID, maybe, very maybe H7 LED Night Breaker by Osram, although Porsche is not on the approved list, so be careful. It may create too much glare.

In MI Police does not care, there is no annual inspection... so folks have all kinds of weird stuff. From green headlights to lights held by duct tape (aka not aimed correctly), or even missing pieces of the car.

Whatever you chose, keep in mind in the end you want to see down the road. Too much foreground light will create glare what will blind you and no matter how well 200 ft distance is lit, you will not see a thing.
Meaning, you want little light up front, but a lot of focused light down the road, at the cut off line.

What good comes from seeing a brick on the road 20 ft in the front in fog lights while doing 60 mph? You want to see it at 200 ft distance... or further.

Previous: 2014 Fiat 500e, 2016 KIA Forte5 SX, 2016 Fiat 500X, and some old days: Trabant, Fiat 126p...
PLP is offline   Reply With Quote