View Single Post
Old 09-14-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
KevinH1990

Nice work. I replaced the headliner on my Mercedes and I appreciate what you accomplished. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/787955-w203-headliner-removal.html

Your experience tracked closely with mine. I visited two upholstery shops and based on the high prices they quoted I thought a DIY effort made sense. The only point where our experience diverged concerns removing the residue on the headliner board. I found it puzzling that removing the glue was such a challenge. I used a hard bristle brush (which I ruined in the process.) It was unpleasant, but if I recall correctly it seemed to only require 2 or 3 hours. I recommend that anyone who needs to follow in your footsteps try the brush before attempting to use solvents. It is possible that Porsche uses a stronger/more difficult to remove adhesive than Mercedes and that you had a more difficult task.

Again, good work and thanks for sharing your experience. I have a Boxster, but I may purchase a Cayman someday and having access to this information may be handy.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote