View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 08:32 AM   #1
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Exclamation Towed and 10 codes!!!

Sunday paid a trip to Apple Valley to visit grandkids. 58 miles of pavement… two miles of dusty and bumpy dirt road. Dusty. Bumpy. So… four miles of that dirt and bump.

Left to return home. Car running fine for 48 miles… stopped to fill up. When leaving the gas station I noticed that my low fuel light remained on… and not registering the full tank. Removed and replaced the key several times. Gauge didn’t register.

Drove wife four miles to work Monday… no change in gauge with the exception of the low fuel light was on. When picking her up that afternoon… gauge registered just above empty (needle slightly moved)… but no light.

I believe the bumpy four miles jarred something loose, and I’m thinking the sending unit is damaged/loose/broken. I did some reading and I’m inclined to think I need to pull and inspect the sending unit. Thoughts?

The gauge pales into comparison to the trouble from yesterday. Wife drove the car to work. Leaving work, and less than a mile from her office… the check engine light comes on… and the car starts to stumble and hesitate. She pulls over… I have the car towed home. I run the OBDII for codes. 10 of them. I note them, and then try starting the car. The car starts, and I let it run for a couple seconds… noting a slight hesitation/stumbling. I shut off the car, preparing it for this morning.

OK. The codes.

P0300
P0301
P0304
P1130
P1128
P1126
P1124
P1319
P1313
P1316

I looked up the codes… possible remedies… and this morning I:

Removed all coils. Inspected, no cracks. Cleaned them up, including cleaning the electrical connections. No oil in the tubes. Plugs looked fine while peeking down the tubes. I didn’t remove them.

Checked the air filter. Fine.

Cleaned the MAF sensor. Examined the AOS tubes and bellow at the bottom. All good.

I checked vacuum lines that I could see… and no disconnections.

I then tried to start the car. It works to turn over, but won’t start. It sounds sluggish.

I’m not sure what next I should be chasing. Air. Fuel. Compression. Spark. For a compression check, I don’t have the tool(s). I’m trying the “easiest” fixes first.

Would anyone mind chiming in and recommending what steps I next should take? I have no helper here to assist. I’ll keep my eye on the forum today. Thank you!

Jim