View Single Post
Old 07-31-2023, 02:07 PM   #33
nuvolari

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
I use an "Uniojo" borescope, also from amazon, it's not a high end unit but works well for me. I think getting into the cylinders from the crankcase is very difficult with anything. I don't really understand your efforts in seeing the cylinders from the sump, maybe it's written somewhere in the thread. That engine is toast as it is now, you either resleeve it or replace the cases, but the cases have to be split either way, so why bother with borescoping the cylinders?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
The boroscopes used to inspect the aircraft engines gives you an amazing resolution, unfortunately these professional boroscopes cost several thousand dollars
I think the main problem was trying to use the tiny mirror attachment in order to see the cylinder walls. I have ordered a 90 degree borescope. This scope has two cameras: the normal straight ahead camera and then another one on the side where you can see 90 degrees to the side which is just what's needed to see if any scoring is present. And it's only $50 on Amazon so not too bad. I'll let you guys know how it works.

Oh, and, homeoboxster, the reason I want to see the bottoms of the cylinders is because this is where traditional scoring occurs first and where it will be the worst generally. My situation is unique because of the gouge in cylinder 2 but I'm not as worried about this gouge as I am in the slight damage on the opposite side of the cylinder which looks like it may have been caused as a result of the gouge, either when it first occurred or later as the piston reacts to the gouge. Therefore, I want to see the bottom of that cylinder just to see if anything bad is going on or not. Also, I want to check the other cylinders although as already stated, they are much more difficult to see into from the sump so not sure how successful that process will be. But this is a 3.2 engine which isn't usually too prone to scoring.

And the engine isn't toast yet. This is all part of the information needed to make the best decision. Lee Jenkins said to put it back together and not worry but I'm a pessimist so I need more reassurance in how long it will last if I do just that.
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote