View Single Post
Old 07-30-2023, 02:48 PM   #31
Homeoboxter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuvolari View Post
Thanks, found it and asked how bad it is but no response. Pretty difficult to deal with on the other side of the country but for $200, it's worth considering.

I got a couple borescopes but, geez, these things are not easy to use! And that's with the engine out, on an engine stand and turned upside down! And I'm trying to see into cylinder #2 which is the easiest of all to get into! Then when I was able to get the camera into the cylinder, the fact that what you're trying to see is basically a half circle of shiny aluminum makes the view extremely difficult to make out due to reflections and focusing. Also, I am using a scope with the tiny 45 degree mirror on it which completely destroys the quality and adds all sorts of reflections and focusing difficulty. I think a 90 degree camera tip is needed but that adds much expense to the scope and makes it impossible to find one to borrow from an auto parts store.

So, does anyone have any tips? Of course, I'm talking about trying to use the borescope to see the bottom ends of the cylinders, going in from the sump. I don't think it's really possible to use the mirror attachment for this purpose; has anyone used this attachment successfully? The scope I bought was an Amazon $30 part and without the mirror, the quality is very good, much better than you would expect for such a low price. And you really must have a 90 degree view once inside the cylinder or all you will see is the underside of the piston.

It's a very frustrating process and I can't imagine being able to see into all the cylinders. As I've said, the middle #2 has the easiest access but the others....Well, I didn't even try as once inside #2, I really couldn't see anything. I thought saw scoring but it was too tough to tell if it was scoring, reflection or some other anomaly.

Ok, time top research more borescopes/endoscopes....
I use an "Uniojo" borescope, also from amazon, it's not a high end unit but works well for me. I think getting into the cylinders from the crankcase is very difficult with anything. I don't really understand your efforts in seeing the cylinders from the sump, maybe it's written somewhere in the thread. That engine is toast as it is now, you either resleeve it or replace the cases, but the cases have to be split either way, so why bother with borescoping the cylinders?
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote