View Single Post
Old 07-17-2023, 09:37 AM   #20
nuvolari

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post

The larger question is what is the OP going to do about it?
Yes, that is the question....

Still trying to decide and figuring the additional cost for disassembling the crankcase. And that's without touching the actual damage to the cylinder. But I am sure about that problem meaning that I'm not going to resleeve or buy an LN block simply because it is just not worth it. If I decide not to risk the block, then this car is probably going in the trash. However, seeing as I already have almost all of the parts needed to reassemble it as is but with new and refreshed IMSB, AOS, tensioner pads and the usual gaskets and seals, I guess I'll do that.

I have posted this same question on Facebook M96 Engine Gurus and Lee Jenkins of Hartech seemed to think it's not so bad and just put it back together and drive it. (I suppose the best thing to do would be to put it back together and NOT drive it! Ha, sorry, M96 joke....) However, it's almost hard for me to type that solution as I really feel like it's a ticking time bomb. Yes, I know, all M96's are time bombs but in this case, it's ticking faster!

I really want to see what shape that piston is in but don't want to pay for ARP con rod bolts, more gaskets and seals and probably the internal tensioner pads and arm and whatever else I'm forgetting like rings, etc. Is it dumb to open a case and not replace all the rings? I suppose it is but what do you guys think?

Of course, the problem with new ARP parts and rings is that if I then use the same block, there is still a great deal of worry about whether it will be ok or not. Although, maybe by seeing the piston, I will be reassured or possibly enlightened by the damage. In other words, if the piston skirt is fine, then it may be worth risking a reassembly. However, if the piston shows damage and scoring of the coating, then this engine is finished.

Is it possible to see the piston skirts at all with the cylinder at BDC? Do they hang out the bottom of the cylinder at all? Probably not enough to see anything, especially on the part of the piston I want to see.

So I guess the question to me becomes, "Do you feel lucky, punk?" And, no, I do not! Luck does not work with these cars and I have to say, with the other cars I have, it does! Probably due to the year of production as my other cars are 70's and 80's and not meant as another M96 slam, but these engines do need more precision and don't appreciate cutting corners which is fair.

So what do you guys think? If you had a couple thousand more dollars budget, what would you do?
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote