View Single Post
Old 06-01-2023, 06:29 AM   #9
husker boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Question coming from ignorance here, but are Porsche OEM pads known for being track ready pads? I don't necessarily intend to track my car, but if they are, it would explain part of the increased cost- I would expect that if I wanted to take a Civic to the track I'd need to spend more on good pads compared to Honda OEM or whatever they have at Autozone.
In general, the answer would be yes, you can use OEM pads at a track day.

But...
The track and how you drive will have a major influence on pad life. If your track has several high speed straights followed by very slow turns, you're going to eat up pads regardless of what brand. If your track has fewer high speed sections along with sweeping turns, you'll use less pads. Some drivers only want to drive at lower stress levels to their car, while others wring out every last % of their car's abilities. Neither is wrong but will have a different result on pad life. When I started off in DE 11 yrs ago, I probably drove at 75% but have worked up to 90% (I drive my car to and from the track and I always keep that in mind when I'm on the track).

I did a DE at COTA several yrs ago. There was a professional driver there hawking his coaching services. His friend who introduced him said this coach could roast your pads (as in totally use them up) in ONE session if he drove 10/10ths with your car. Not sure that endorsement got him a lot of customers, but proves the point about how the track and how you drive makes a difference. COTA is tough on brakes and so was he.

Keep in mind an OEM pad on a Porsche has to check many boxes: quiet on the street, yet capable on the track and everything in between. Similar to an all season tire that's OK in the snow and OK at high performance driving but not great at either. Jack of all trades, master of none. Since the majority of Porsches won't see the track, Porsche can't supply OEM pads that are squeaky and dusty - 2 characteristics of track pads, so they're going to favor more street characteristics. But they have to assume there could be track duty so they make sure they'll work for a session, day, or weekend.

Brakes and tires are consumables if you plan to track your car.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 06-02-2023 at 05:02 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote