View Single Post
Old 01-20-2023, 05:00 PM   #1
KevinH1990

Thoughts on seat upgrades

I think I may finally have time to participate in Driver's Education sessions. I completed one a few years ago and the biggest issue I had with my car was the seats. I found myself sliding around in corners due to the lack of bolstering and slippery leather in the stock comfort seats.

I'm considering the following options to keep me more securely in place.

1. Buy a pair of 987/997 sports seats. This is a fairly expensive option, and I would lose the heat, full power and memory of my current seats. (I've seen posts from members STL986 and TTGator that show how to retrofit the heat function.)
2. Buy a pair of non-sport 987/997 seats. This would be slightly less expensive than the 987/997 and I could probably retrofit both the heat and full power, but probably not the memory function. These seats would provide less bolstering than the 987/997 sports seats, but I have seen some posts that suggest they provide more support than 986/996.
3. Put the back from a 986/996 sport seat on my current driver's seat. I have found one and also located a local upholsterer who said he can tailor the foam to fit me and recover the seat to match my interior. This is the least expensive option, but I'm wondering whether it would look goofy to have one sport seat and one non-sport seat in the same car.

I'm interested in options especially if they are based on experience with the various models of seats.

Thanks in advance.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote