View Single Post
Old 10-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #16
nuvolari

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Based on this, the same set of flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc works with 5 and 6 speeds:
https://www.aascomotorsports.com/collections/porsche/products/106412-11-pkg-porsche-boxster-cayman-flywheel-sachs-clutch-kit
Thanks for the link as that led me to research a bunch of sites which revealed the specs for the various M96 clutches and flywheels.

And I learned that the size and spline count is the same for both engines at 240mm and 23 teeth so I guess they will "fit." However, I think the difference may lie in the weight and balance or other M96 cryptic possibilities simply because the clutches and flywheels are not very often shareable between the different engines and/or transmissions. For example, the 986S has a specific pressure plate and clutch disc with a 986 part number. Strangely, though, it shares the flywheel part number with the 996. And even stranger, the Sachs site in Germany doesn't list a 986 clutch part number and instead shows a 996 kit while in the States, they have a 986 specific clutch.
So, who knows what's going on but I do know I don't want to be caught out using a clutch or flywheel that creates an imbalance which will lead to, you guessed it, catastrophic engine failure!
(When I get this car running, that'll be my personalized plate: CTNFAIL.)

On my 2000 986S, you can even see giant labeling of "986S" which is very strange for a part that lives inside the bell housing. (Those crazy Germans must get their passions out somehow, I guess!)

87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan

Last edited by nuvolari; 10-12-2022 at 12:00 PM.
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote