View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #13
nuvolari

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silber View Post
I had the same issue, bought the car anyway.

Gbox detent did not help, eventually it got worse and would pop out anytime you accelerated or decelerated.

Fix was to have CMS (reputable Porsche trans builder) put in a new second gear. $4k all told, including freight for the transmission on a pallet there and back. I did all the R&R labor myself, I don’t know what a shop would charge if you had to go that route. Maybe an additional $1-2K?

I would say proceed as if you will have to put in a second gear, factor that into the price. My understanding is other than the second gear issue Boxster S 986 6spd transmissions are pretty bulletproof. CMS has a special procedure for installing the new gear that should prevent recurrence.

Silber
Silber, did your rebuild address the pinion bearing? I have my transmission (and engine) out of the car with the transmission case removed also. I had to take that off to remove the detent which was spread eagle and would have never come out the way it's supposed to.

And I also found this on the magnet so I assume some of the sealed bearings are gone.

That 5 speed route seems much, much more affordable although a bit more work but at this point, it's definitely a thought.
87 Alfa Romeo Milano
77 Alfa Romeo Alfetta Sedan
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote