View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 08:37 AM   #6
husker boxster

Yesterday I drained the gas out of the tank. It looked pretty good. Think I'll try running it thru my lawn mower. Pulled 6 gallons. Went to the parts store to buy a 5 gal gas can - $30 . While I was there, found a pair of windshield wipers (both friends who helped me push the shark in the garage noted the ripped pass wiper). Been a while since I've bought wiper blades - they were $23 each! I bought 3 things and spent $80. But I was able to get my gas stored properly. Put 1.5 gal of new gas in and was ready to give her a try. Spun for half a min and the battery was toast. Figured out how to get the subwoofer moved enough to get to the battery enclosure. Put the charger on the battery (2/20 date) and quit for the night.

This morning I took the charger off and tried starting again. Just spun and no attempt at starting. OK, time to start diagnosing the issue. Pulled the out line from the fuel filter and stuck a hose on it to a funnel to a gas can.

Tried starting again. No fuel. Tried honking the horn. It worked. Swapped the the horn relay with the fuel pump relay. Tried starting, still no gas but the horn worked so good relay. Then I notice the LH computer relay wasn't there but was replaced with a jumper wire. Hmmm... Took the horn relay and replaced the LH jumper wire with it. Still no gas. Final test told me what I needed to know. I replaced the fuel pump relay with the jumper wire. The fuel pump worked - gas out of the hose.

So I have a bad LH computer. This is a common issue and what kept the '87 from starting. I'll need to ship it to a guy in AZ to rebuild it. That will be $500. The good news is it took me 2 mo of trial and error to figure out the LH computer was bad on the '87. It only took me a day on the '89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Sorry about the perfect dash being "upgraded" with the GPS!
I may see how many holes were drilled and if Bumper Plugs would work to fill them. IDK, just a thought but it would prob look much better than that eye sore of a GPS module. Just not sure how much un-wiring I'll have to do. But that's a project for down the road.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote