View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 05:22 PM   #12
986 Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSign View Post
My statement was, and I quote "I tend to use the right pedal to reduce the understeer"

The fastest way around a corner is usually the smoothest, so sometimes a little patience with the throttle is the fastest way. Sometimes you have to lift a little to maximize overall speed through the corners. Finesse is faster than wrestling with understeer. A little trail braking can help.

So my answer to your question is: no, not completely, but can come close to throttle induced neutrality.
On offramps where it is easy to test the car at its limits (at least for right hand turns), it showed, as you already know, understeer, a little throttle modulation allows one to transition to neutralish.
The modest 200 hp is plenty under these conditions. The trick is to use most or all of what is available power and grip most or all of the time.
The stock car I find handles close to neutral, it appears the engineers intentionally kept it in the safer understeer range to save idiot drivers from themselves. I think the engineers did an excellent job designing this car.

If one wants, they can change the set up to be more neutral or even some oversteer I suppose...
I get what your saying, and I agree, but wouldn`t it be nice not to worry about the car understeering in the first place?
I prefer a car that oversteers than a car that understeers.

I`m no engineer or expert, and I`m sure Porsche engineers designed the car to understeer for a reason, but you would be surprised how much of a difference a 225 tire makes at the front vs a 205 on these cars. I can take turns a lot faster with a 225 vs a 205 without trail braking. I like fast in fast out
Even my Cayman had understeer, and a lot more than the Boxster, and changing the front tires from 235 to 245 made a HUGE difference.
986 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote