View Single Post
Old 07-19-2022, 12:18 PM   #8
tommy583
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
Sorry, been pulling too many all nighters lately chasing a comet.

In all honesty though, the 2.5 is really not one you see many people do anything to cause there just isn't much you can get out of it. Same can be said for most Porsche engines. If way smarter engineers couldn't get better response with millions to help them out I dont think any of us will get anything more out of it by mixing & matching parts.

I am always skeptical of any of these changes cause 99/100 will say it makes improvements but never have any actual data to back it up. By data I mean something like a dyno run before & after as an example. Without any actual concrete data to back it up it's just placebo feeling/thinking something is better responding/quicker/etc.
Yes I agree with you on the data. That's why i'm clear to state that what i'm talking about is Butt Dyno. I wouldn't waste my time and money on a proper dyno of these two cars. It would cost me much more than the mods did them-self.

The main reason I asked is I remember some of the guys that race spec Boxsters said on here or Rennslist that an easy way to cheat is to put on the 996 throttle body because they look the same from the outside, but will give you more top end and maybe better throttle response than the stock one. The smaller drive pulley will give you the feeling of 5 to 10 HP by freeing up the engine, this is pretty widely accepted. The problem with the smaller pulley is needing to have to shave down the TDC boss on the block.

Either mod would be easy and cheap enough to do to the new car, but the throttle body is more reversible. If I could get 75% of the feeling from just the throttle body then great. But if most of the feeling comes from the pulley then I would just leave it stock.

The only way to really see if there is a difference would be to run both cars on the dyno. Then mod the new car and run that as well. I'm way to lazy and cheap to do that for an engine that we all know will give little to no improvement.

On a more positive note I did purchase a new (used) Quickjack this weekend. I'm pretty happy about that. I borrowed one earlier this summer to do new pads, rotors and paint my calipers. Doing the same job on the old car using jack stands, I can without question say that the Quickjack is the way to go for working on these cars.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote