Thread: Spark plugs
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 03:33 PM   #3
blue62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Okay, well feel free to can that question...already bought them.

Another, that hopefully somebody can answer: These plugs (like so many things these days, Grrrrr) come with ZERO written instructions, just those oh-so-helpful pictures. The last pic seems to indicate we shouldn't mess with the gap.

I called where I bought them and asked if they should already be correctly pre-gapped and got the equally oh-so-helpful response, "Yeah, they should be." As always, I never have any idea how to interpret that. Could actually be, "Yeah they're gapped right, leave them alone." The other possibility: "I have no idea."

I checked one of them. Don't have a set of the nice feeler gages, just one of those circular guys that you insert into the gap and turn it until it's touching. It (Bentley) calls for 1.6 mm, which equals 0.063". On my gage, it looks to be significantly more narrow than that.

So, do I ignore the pictures and adjust it? Do I void the warranty if I do so? Should I invest in a nicer tool to measure the gap? And/or to adjust it?

Recommendations? TIA.
You should "ALWAYS" check plug gap with the "correct tool" and make sure they are to spec.
To not do so is foolish and piss poor automotive methodology.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote