View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 09:26 AM   #26
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Sounds like a fun project. A few thoughts:

Endurance racing is all about keeping the wheels turning. Lap times matter but avoiding breakdowns, car contact, and black flag stops matter more. We run Lemons in a 4 car Miata team with 4 drivers each. In the last race of 2021 my car was probably the slowest in terms of best lap time but... we drove pretty clean, avoided contact, and had zero breakdowns. As a result we were the top finisher on our team.

What I would do:

- Make absolutely sure the cooling is dialed in so she will not overheat.
- Add an under drive pulley to protect the power steering pump and add cooling fins to the PS lines.
- You are probably committed at this point but I would choose a baffled pan and take the points vs the accusump. Not a fan of those and have seen too many failures.
- Run 255/40/17 square on 8.5 inch tires for better acceleration and lighter unsprung weight. I think 275 on 10" wheels is too much wheel/tire for limited HP. I think 255s will turn faster laps.
- Run the new Bridgestone RE71RS for 1-2 sec faster laps than RS-4s
- Make any changes possible to increase negative camber. Stock negative camber will eat the outer shoulders on 255s. If you can get -3* up front -2.5* rear you will double tire life and use all of your available contact patch.

I see no need to change anything with the motor unless you want to run ROW and eliminate the rear O2 sensors. She will be most reliable in stock form.

Best of luck in this adventure. Low budget endurance racing is super fun!

Last edited by Topless; 05-22-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote