View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 06:02 PM   #7
ike84

The physical key is not necessary for the car to start - all the key does is turns the tumbler to make connections inside the ignition switch. This can be relocated in a number of ways, making a physical key not necessary.

But the pill is a must. And a new pill must either be cloned from an existing one or come with a valid iPas code which can be programmed into the immobilizer unit via piwis or eeprom directly.

Truthfully, if you don't already have the equipment to do so, there is no cheap to make you a new fully functioning key

BUT! (THERE'S ALWAYS ANOTHER WAY!)

what you can do is get a new blank key without the pill and have it cut for $50. Remove the pill from your functioning key and position it near the lock cylinder (inside the dash so it can't be accessed easily). This way, there is always a pill present. Then you can make as many keys as you want for $50 a piece.

Of course, you have just negated the single most effective anti theft measure on our cars. But, no one ever tries to steal our cars because every other 986 still needs the pill.

If you do this, I would recommend installing a kill switch somewhere that you can easily use but is hidden out of sight.

Your call.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 05-20-2022 at 06:10 PM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote