View Single Post
Old 01-29-2022, 12:07 PM   #21
elgyqc

Garage
I had hoped to use spring compressors, but when I borrowed a set I realised that they only work with the struts off the car... there is no room for them under the fender. So I used the same method as shown in the two videos in the previous post to compress the spring and remove the left front bearing. I had a problem compressing the spring enough... the car tended to lift. After a couple of tries I got the hub carrier high enough and attached the spring with a nylon strap. After hammering down on the hub carrier with a rubber mallet I ended up standing on the carrier to get it so slide down far enough on the strut to get the stub axle out.
When I pulled the bearing this is what I found... very little grease and what there was was more like cheese than grease.

The bearing was not loose or noisy and had about 90K miles on it. The rear bearings were in similar shape although one of them was a bit loose.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 01-29-2022 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added info
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote