View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 06:53 PM   #10
KevinH1990

I got a super deal on mine. The seller put it on eBay in July. He would not ship and required it to be picked up in a narrow window of time before he moved further south to be closer to his daughter. The top was the same color and as my car and I decided to seize the opportunity. I was the only bidder.

I decided buy spin locks before I drove to South Carolina because spin lock installation is a bit tedious and I wanted to take my time and work carefully. I arrived at the seller's house at about 10:00 p.m. The seller and I (he was a gentleman in his late 70's or early 80's) attempted to install the top and it would not fit. We tried about 4 times and it was beginning to look like bad news. Finally, I pressed down hard on each corner while turning the spin lock and it popped into place.

My theory is that two factors may have led to the problem. First, the top conforms to the shape of the car upon which it is originally installed and each Boxster's body is subject to subtle twisting. Second, the seller told me that he took the top off when he brought the car home from the dealer and never put it on again. It was laying on the floor of his garage and this may have affected the shape.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote