View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #12
nuvolari

Garage
Removed the tranny yesterday, it's really fairly easy compared to other cars in that there is lots of room back there on the boxster to get to most of the bolts. Annoying part is that Porsche made many of the bolts much longer than necessary so get a powered tool or enjoy the yoga/pilates stretching workout to remove them!
However, I still can't get the detent out! It just won't come out so I guess I'll have to separate the transaxle case. I'm just worried about resealing it as I can't tell if there's a gasket or sealant (probably, but what kind?) and the torque spec. Hopefully gbox will answer their phone and tell me. (Just try and google to see the interior of a Porsche transmission! Absolutely nothing! 986 owners aren't very DIY or adventurous! Oh, wait, one pic. From a site that'll sell you a rebuilt 6 speed for only $6949! That's more than I paid for the car!)
Still hoping the gbox detent gives me 2nd gear but not sure what to do if it doesn't. Probably look for a used 6 speed but not many out there.
By the way, what's a 6 speed with a bad 2nd gear worth? Just curious if I recoup any money with the old one....
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote