View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 08:42 AM   #10
nuvolari

Garage
Arggghhh, got the Allen bolt plug off with lots of heat (torch) and then attempted the "easy" part of removing the old detent and installing the gbox version and that's when it all went to ****! The old detent would not come out with a magnet. So I called gbox and they said to use an easy out. Got the easy out and attempted that. At first, nothing. Then with a little heat, it would move up and down about a half an inch but still wouldn't come out. Then the easy out kept popping out and I couldn't get enough pulling force. So I started tightening the EO a bit more. Still popping out. So a bit tighter. But never excessively in the least. Then a loud pop! Hmmm, what the heck? Used a mirror to look into the tranny and saw that the detent was now cracked! Yup, hardened steel cracked with not much effort at all. Gbox said there's no way but I can see it. Of course now the crack has expanded the diameter and it won't come out at all. Arggghhh!
So now out comes the box. And now gbox says the detent won't fix my problems and the tranny needs new pinions and probably 2nd gear. Arggghhh! Of course, I won't know for sure until I remove gear box, install detent and reinstall. And I was planning on IMS, RMS and possibly clutch while the box was out. But I won't even know if I have 2nd gear until after spending all the IMS, etc money unless I enjoy removing and reinstalling the transmission which I can guess right now, I will not!
And if the car needs a transmission rebuild, I'm not sure it's worth fixing. I would probably rather part it and put it out of its misery (and mine!)
So, out of town for some work while I ponder the intricacies/miseries/wonders of Boxster S ownership!
Sure do miss driving it though....

Last edited by nuvolari; 10-21-2021 at 08:49 AM.
nuvolari is offline   Reply With Quote