View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
elgyqc

Garage
Have I compromised a camshaft?

I just replaced the tensioner pads on my engine and I made a newbie error while disassembling the cams. After reading from several sources and watching videos I went ahead and removed the camshaft cover on bank 2 with the crankshaft 360 degrees off of where it should have been and I didn’t have a tool installed to hold the ends of the cams in place as the cover came off. As a result cylinder 5 was on the intake stroke the intake cam lobes were pushing on the valves and so the end of that camshaft lifted about an inch or 2. I quickly put retainers on the cams to bring them back to where they should have been.

Before reassembly I turned the engine to where it should have been and used a tool to hold the camshafts in place while reinstalling the cover.

I have since read that the camshaft can break if it is not removed correctly. The engine turns over by hand with seemingly no ill affects. Did I dodge a bullet or is it possible that the camshaft will break once the engine is running?
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote