View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #11
ike84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Today I finally had enough free time and spare parts to get the car running. So far it has just run on jack stands for a warm up and basic checks, but the stock intake with the 996 electronics it sounded good after the lifters stopped rattling. There is no particular plan for what to do with this car yet. It seems to run fine so far, but I expect that it will need some correction to run optimally with the 996 DME. I may get the correct tune for it, run it with a larger intake and MAF tube, or pull the engine and put it in another car. The engine is a factory replacement engine from '04:

The car has been sitting since some time in 2018. To get it running I also needed to replace the fuel pump. I tried rigging an old pump from a scrapped '01 in there, but it turned out bad too. R.A. had VDO pumps for about $200 so I went with that. Replacement was pretty simple with the correct part.

Now my curiosity has moved on to the difference between the fuel system of 986.1s and 986.2s. In 2002 models the fuel pressure regulator was moved from the rail on the engine to the sender in the tank. The unit in the tank looks pretty much like what sits on the fuel rail. I know Ike has a thread about using the 986.2 injectors in a 986.1 and that they just need to be slightly modified for fitment.

So, If we take a 986.2, 3 chain, DME 7.8, M96 engine and put it in a 2001 model how do you want to handle the fuel system? Swap the hoses and sender or just use the fuel system from the 2001 (I think we'd need a fuel rail from a 2001 on the later engine)..?
I don't rember for sure how the pressure regulator is controlled on the 986.2, but I want to say it's also by vacuum hose. If that's the case (meaning that it isn't controlled by the dme) then you should just be able to reuse the entire 986.1 fuel system as is, including the rails. Injectors will need to be modified to fit the rail (assuming it has the later Bosch injectors) and you'll need the bank 1 crossover tube boot that has the vacuum line connection routing to the pressure regulator valve (salvage that from the original engine), then you should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk