View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 05:40 PM   #47
ike84

Silber, I think there may be some misunderstanding here.

Oversquare engines (such as the m96), which typically have larger valves than undersquare engines because of space availability, historically make more horsepower because they typically can rev to higher limits (this was moreso true when materials were limiting factors in rpm capability, but that is a whole different discussion). They do not necessarily sacrifice low end power to achieve this. Look at nearly every american v8 put into a pickup truck during the 70s-90s. They are almost all oversquare designs and put out plenty of low end power. You can certainly take stock configurations and do cam swaps that will focus your power band at higher rpm, but again this is not a function strictly of valve size.

Undersized valves, on the other hand, can rob an engine of power. Especially on high revving oversquare builds. Again, the smaller valve isn't going to produce more low end power. Its just that your toque curve is going to look relattively flat becuase the output will peak sooner than it would with larger valves.

Again, look at the x51 modifications and the resulting power differences.

I am not trying to be a dick here, but the knowledge on which you are predicating your build is rudimentary at best. Your reaction to my comments clearly shows that you have made your mind up and that I am wasting my breath here, I'm just trying to share some knolwedge. I really do hope that your build ends well, I just want to see you get out of it what youre putting in.