View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 11:47 PM   #37
Silber

Got the 4-6 head off. Cams are good, but lifters have some pretty obvious circular wear patterns. Lifter holder on this side looks pretty worn as well. Fairly surprised there is such a pronounced difference side to side. Almost seems like two different engines.

Ok, so I can’t sleep and I’m thinking a bit crazy:

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/100105986002/sport-camshaft-set-986-boxster-s-32-l-m9621-engine-schrick-hydraulic.html

My thought is, a 3.8 with 3.2 heads is going to be a real stump puller due to the large displacement and small valves. This kind of setup really builds low down torque, but chokes off the high RPM breathing.

Would the Schrick cams give me the best of both worlds? Sacrifice a little stump pulling to get some top end back, or would I end up with a flat low end and still be choked off high RPM, basically gaining nothing and losing my low end boost.

Any engine gurus want to weigh in? And, up front I should say that I know the 3.2 heads on a 3.8 isn’t ideal, but it is what I am doing and I’m going to try and make the best of it, So advice to go buy different heads won’t be very helpful.

Appreciate everyone’s time so far. You maybe wouldn’t think it would be, but tearing down a mostly dead flat six has been pretty fun so far.

Silber

EDIT: The cams on the FVD website are SUPER agressive, high lift. May have found a better set. First image is the milder set, second image is the set with the high lift, third set is a compromise with the same degrees as agressive set, but less lift. Not sure the stock valve springs could handle the high lift cam.
Attached Images

Last edited by Silber; 09-21-2021 at 07:03 AM.
Silber is offline   Reply With Quote